Toodleoo, 2013

2013, you are on your last legs. And although some really cool things happened this year (got married, that's nothing to sneeze at <3 ), it will be a relief to leave you behind. Adios, jerkface!

It seems that 2013 was tough on a lot of people. I'm not sure if it was the disappointment of the world not ending on Dec 21, 2012 and that we were all unprepared for an entire year following. But, yeah, that's definitely it.

I don't even care to do a year-in-review. Just, like, Google it, you know? I just want to leave all that unsaid and undisturbed and move along.

Now, 2014, I don't want to put any undue pressure on you. There have been other good years, like 2012. 2012 was a pretty gosh-darned good year for my wife and I. We were both making good money, I had an amazing birthday party that year, we moved in with one of our best friends which was a great time for all of us. I mean, it was certainly more stable for us than when we first moved to the Toronto gaybourhood in 2011, or that wild and unpredictable year of 2010 when we lived in St. John's, Newfoundland.

Yeah, no pressure, 2014. You don't have to be another 2012. You will make your own path and bring new challenges and successes.

On the topic of challenges, now seems the time to come up with my annual resolutions! Yay!

  • First and foremost, I want to continue fostering kittens. This has been such a positive experience for us, that we are gonna keep this going.
  • Write more. Both blogging and fiction writing. Last year was such a creative block, but now a lot of the crap that was uber-stressing me have been alleviated, so I want to make writing a priority.
  • Save money and pay off debts. Between no major events coming up (knock on wood) and the habits we've learned from being desperately broke, I think we've got a much better shot this year at getting ahead financially. Yeah, I know, this has been on my list every year. But, like, you know. I'm a grown up and stuff.
  • Get our IT toys in order. I've got a few broken laptops and phones around. I want to get off my duff and fix them so we can use them. I've already ordered a few cheap chargers from eBay, i just have to find my extra laptop hard drive and order a couple screens, and maybe pay for a couple Macbook repairs if I can save up for them.
  • Make more crafts. I have all the supplies, so I'd like to make it a priority to do something with them.
  • Spend money to promote the piercing biz. In many cases you've gotta spend money to make money, and come spring I want to be in a good position to promote the piercing biz to take advantage of the summer population explosion.

And I think that's a good place to start from. It's going to be a tough year because I'll be travelling for work during the weeks at least until the spring, but if we save up and I spend my downtime on stuff that makes me happy, it should be pretty positive.

Good luck to everyone and your goals, whether they be teeny or ambitious as all get-out. Happy end of 2013!


EDIT FOR AN UPDATE:

After posting this morning, I since checked my mail and found this letter waiting for me:


Touche, 2013, touche. But, in 7 hours you'll have fucked off and I'll still be here *knocks on wood*. You may have gotten one last dig in, but I will have the last laugh.

*bitterly drinks some cider as I look longingly at my two empty bottles of rhubarb wine a lovely friend had sent me out of the goodness of her good, kind heart*


Comments