Oh, booze, my costly mistress

It's the weekend. Time for budget blow-outs and booze.

Booze is, by far, my most expensive vice. When we go out, it's the booze cost that puts our dinner over our intended budget. At home, I don't drink a whole heck of a lot, but I like to make sure that I have enough in the house for a drink or two to unwind after work, and I don't tend to work booze into the budget. I'll just run to the store when they pantry's dry rather than spend an interminable week without.

To try to cut back my booze costs, I try to buy 24's of the cheap beer (as opposed to stuff I really like, such as Young's Double Chocolate Stout, or Mill St Organic), I buy 1.5L bottles of cheap sparkling wine and cut it with club soda, or I try to cut back and not drink at all and spend my evenings pouting and pining, instead.

In renewed effort to cut booze costs, I decided to try some of the near-beer (or non-alcoholic beer) you can get at the grocery store. At $5.99+/12, it's a pretty good way to cut costs, as opposed to $14.99/12 on the cheapest beer I can find.

My first try was Molson at $6.99/12. I had it at a party inbetween alcoholic drinks since I was out of my league in terms of tolerance and didn't want to be praying for death in the morning. It was a sad, pale shadow of what beer should be. I spiked it with tequila to try to improve it, with absolutely zero success. I didn't like it, is what I'm trying to say.

My second try is Red Brew, from PC, at $5.99/12. I like it a lot. I've had it a few nights after work so far, and I don't feel the need to spike it or use it as a chaser. It works quite well on its own, and so I'm happily adding it to my regular shopping list. Turns out, I'm not the only person who's also tried it and likes it.

I might try another type of near-beer just to satisfy my curiosity, but for the moment the Red Brew is sufficing quite nicely. Perhaps when the budget is more robust and I can afford to buy something disappointing, I'll venture into a new brand.

You might be wondering why I don't just drink pop, instead. I frankly don't like pop that much. I'm not often compelled to drink it, it's not satisfying to sip while reading in a hot bath, and it's often much sweeter than what I have a hankering for. And I don't really have any other vices. I don't smoke, I don't do recreational drugs, I buy junk food only sparingly, and I chill at home a lot. Without booze (or fake booze) my life is even more boring. I may be a crazy cat lady, but a girl's gotta have some sort of vice.

Comments